My friend Anne applying
a little umph to get the skin in the track
Optimism and Stick-to-it-ive-ness is a deadly weapon to time schedules. I think that Shasta restorers must have both. That and loved ones who have deep reservoirs of patience and understanding for missed deadlines. All said, we are looking at being probably 2 weeks behind our latest revised departure date (June 14) and I am trying to inject some realism and take pride in the bits that get accomplished each day and let go of those things that seem out of my control. Can someone come up with a Shasta Serenity prayer? Enough philosphizing...much progress to report. A couple of days ago my friend Anne and I finished adding the skin and started putting in windows, till I ran out of butyl tape Aquadream has her skin
Me putting in the first window!
Yesterday was full of highs and lows. First the high...and I was so excited I forgot to document it....wait for it....WE TOWED AQUADREAM OUT OF THE DRIVEWAYfor the first time since she came home! Albeit just 10 miles to the trailer place but still a real milestone! there she will get her electrical finished and figured out, and a new trailer jack put in. Went home to an empty driveway-- and an empty nest feeling overtook me. Though there is quite a mess to clean up. And still of course plenty to do. I was envisioning a day of packing and planning and cleaning the house for our housesitters after taking my son Ben to the skate park. Phone rings 10 minutes after I've dropped him off, come get me I crashed and am hurt. Long story short, chin needed to be glued, but also spent the rest of the afternoon getting xrays etc... and learned that he's broken his arm at the elbow. Have to wait til today to see how this impacts our trip and his bid in the whitewater junior olympics. Once I get her back later today (I hope) the plans for today and the weekend include-- dinette window cargo doors..one of which I may seal shut. build bed. maybe if lucky stain maybe maybe if everything goes right....paint. Or at least buy paint....I'm thinking this may be one of the on the road projects (am I crazy).
Yesterday was another milestone day. Had my friends Corey and Dave to help for a few hours. We attached the skin to the front of the frame. I thought this was going to be really hard, but thanks to the expert work of sheet metal genius Chris Mast, the piece fit like a tight glove. Had to work a bit to get the edges under the pittsburgh seams (open up the bend) without getting a tear. Trick was to first do one side and then the other, and leave the middle window flashing for last.
Yesterday also accomplished
Installed the new trailer hitch
Finished flipping the axle
Windows...in the stage of adding seals and putting them back together. Replacing glass on most of them with lexan.
Electrical is all connected but for some reason the blinkers are working but the running lights and brake lights aren't. Gotta figure this out before the skin can go on the back.
Inside trim is started. (I'll be doing some of this work on the road I think lol)
Install back and drip rails front and back
Install cargo doors.
Okay so our departure date was supposed to be June 14....It is now June 18th...and we are looking at departing June 21 or 22. On the original schedule my son Ben and I would be whooping it up at the oldest whitewater festival in the US, FIBARK, which takes place in Salida Colorado on the Arkansas River. This morning is age group nationals for slalom. Next year!
Instead, the first week of our summer vacation has been me furiously working on the trailer, and Ben experiencing his first unstructured school break. He's had to make plans with friends day by day. Not too bad...lots of skateboarding, a couple of movies, a day dirt biking.
So here in Margueritaville, I've had several wonderful friends and some skilled craftsman helping me get her done. Caps off to Terry, Anne, Laurie, and Micci for helping scrape and polish windows and trim pieces. Corey and Dane for helping with framing, electrical and flipping the axle. And a special shout to Chris Mast at Mastco Sheet metal for rescuing me with fabricating the front and back pieces. I gave the folks at Moose Metal my old pieces to use as templates, but with no first hand observation or experience in this, the pieces weren't all quite right and all but one had to be redone. I'd still go back to them but wished I'd gone to Chris from the get go. He's a real craftsman. Came out to my house twice and puzzled through the whole deal with me to get it right.
Update June 17, 2011---final stretch.
Lots has been done :) but still more to do ::).
Got a 12v and 110 system set up just waiting for battery, charger/maintainer/converter and inverter to make her all go.
All rough inside framing and paneling is done all it needs is trim pieces and stain.
Outside is framed, wired and insulated.
Windows are almost ready....need to get glass/lexan for a couple that broke in the process, and add the furry stuff to my jalousie.
Still left for this weekend and early next week.
Glass/plastic for windows, put em together.
Finish flipping the axle, we're skipping new axle and trailer brakes for now due to a mix up in ordering (was gonna take 3 more weeks) SUNDAY
Drip rail on top still needs to come off and get cleaned up and reinstalled....it is a b*&^ch.
Stain and finish trim on inside
build out bed
Paint outside (Monday...at least first coat I hope) Or we could just hit the road ugly.
Hook up battery etc... (Tuesday)
Clear DMV (Tuesday or Wednesday morning)
Hit the ROAD>>>>!!!!! Wednesday afternoon